Overview and rules for styling competition
- The Bonsai Societies of Florida (BSF) uses the styling competition to promote the art of bonsai.
- The three levels of styling competition are: Local level, District level, and State level.
- BSOB Local level: 16 Dec 2023 at December BSOB club meeting (1pm)
- District 6 level: 3 Feb 2024 at Joy of Bonsai (11am, Deland)
- State level: BSF Convention (Memorial Day weekend 2024)
- The winner and second place are announced at the BSF convention. The State winner receives an educational grant of $1000. The second-place winner gets $500. Grants are to be used for bonsai educational purposes.
- Please signup in advance if you are interested. Go Here.
- Must not be a bonsai “professional”
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be a club member in good standing
- Must never have won first place in a previous BSF Scholarship Competition – State level.
- Must be able to compete at the District level competition
BSOB Local Rules:
- Materials will be of the same species and of similar quality.
Juniper is usually the planned species and will be distributed by lottery.
- The BSOB contest is usually 2 to 2.5 hrs long.
- Wiring is permitted. Club wire will be available for contestants.
- Tools and supplies will be the responsibility of the contestant.
Borrowing tools prior to the contest is permitted.
- Once the contest starts there is no participation or interaction between contestants and others in the audience.
- Plant needs to be in the pot for judging. Pot can be cut back, root ball worked on, but plant needs to be placed back in the pot for judging.
- Judging at the local level is to be done by the club president (or designee) and the district trustee (or designee). All designee(s) will be decided at the club meeting prior to the start of the competition.
- Judging will be based on bonsai techniques and design appropriate to the tree while maintaining the health of the tree.
- Rules can be changed by past board members who attend the club meeting prior to the start of the competition.
Please see this guide for styling competition tips and tricks.
The Bonsai Society of Brevard is one of the many clubs within the Bonsai Societies of Florida.